Nuffnang

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

PLAY! Exploration around Singapore with Canon

16 April 2016 - Last Saturday, we had an awesome play date together with a group of parents and children! Thanks to Canon Singapore and Claudia (TheLovingMum), we had a Fun Day out filled with laughter and action.

Special thanks to Canon Singapore, I had the opportunity to try out the Canon Powershot G9X, which is a pocketable compact camera that snuggles in my pockets and sling bag perfectly. I love its light weight and size which makes it so easy to carry around for this trip.


1st Stop - Dove Playground at Dakota Crescent

It has been a year since our last visit but the children remembered the Block Party where they had their free haircut, amused by the "Tok Tok" man and helping to put up the photos for the exhibition.

This time, they get to play with a group of new found friends! Gladys received a lot of motivation and encouragement to slide down the bar. After thinking and hesitating for endless number of times, she finally took the plunge!


YES! SHE DID IT!

Our boy had an easier job - posing. :) He prefers to stay at the exercise area to chill.

Our next model to be?

Our family dressing colour scheme seems to blend in nicely with the Dove.  

2nd Stop - Wall Murals at Everton Road

I have heard so much about the Everton Road Murals and am extremely delighted to be here! The artworks by Mr Yip Yew Chong who has lived near Everton Road, has portray and brings the history of Singapore back to life beautifully on the walls.

Here we are with "Amah" & "Barber". Denver is getting some tips from Amah on how to hand wash the clothes.


Meanwhile, Gladys is counting how many chickens are roaming on the streets.

Care to have a hair cut? Bro, your hairstyle looks just like mine. :)

Looks like an interesting book you have there... Can I read?

What admires me most was the little details found on the mural art. You can spot things that was once so familiar.... "Good Morning" white towels, Milkmaid, 老夫子漫画, Scotts Emulsion, Ovaltine and the list goes on.

We missed out the "Provision Shop" mural which was just one block behind. Hopefully we will be back again.

3rd Stop - Tiong Bahru Park Adventure Playground

Time for another round of play! This time we are at Tiong Bahru Park where the little ones can explore the interiors of the tilting locomotive. The slanted grounds definitely add in more challenge for the younger ones to maneuver through the train.


However, I must say the main highlight of the playground was the 2 mega fun zip lines where the children made a dash for.  They had fun sliding between the two ends like a flying fox over and over and over again.


Gladys, instead of keeping herself occupied on the zip line, seems to enjoy giving her friends a friendly push to get them across to the other side.


How about a little spin on the old-school 'merry-go-round'.

Playground with sandy grounds always attract our daughter. She has a love for digging, and will not miss any opportunity getting herself buried within the sand.


Fun continues as we play old school games together - Zero Point and Limbo.

4th Stop - Wall Murals at Tiong Bahru

Our final stop before we head for lunch! More murals can be found around Tiong Bahru estate but you need to walk through the streets and hunt for them! The theme "Home" is located at Blk 74, Tiong Poh Road. I noticed the time on the wall clock has a similar time as the Barbar mural at Everton Road. In addition, the artist seems to have a preference for the date 12 Jan as it appears on the calendars on both sites, except one is in 1976 while the other is in 1979.

It is indeed a pleasure to admire the street art that depicts the olden days of Singapore. I felt as if I have walked down the memory lane once again.


Tiong Bahru Pasar and Fortune teller Mural - Blk 73 Eng Watt Street


"Uncle, one bowl of laksa please!"


The mural art is definitely something worth stopping by to admire. Great work of art from Mr Yip and I do hope to see more such murals around Singapore.

5th Stop - Lunch at Poteato

After a day of fun and excitement, we settled down for lunch at Poteato! Just looking at the delicacies on the table made us drool.....


My plate filled with assorted food!

Mac & Cheese - Denver's favourite pick! Awesomely cheesy and there's slices of mushroom at the bottom!

Assorted mini-burgers

Prawn with Longan Salsa - a refreshing combination and a great appetizer.

Smoked Salmon Canape - one of my favourite picks as I am a big fan of SALMON! :)

Mini - sandwiches

Avocado Chicken Crostini

 Grilled Salmon! Love the tender and juicy meat which melts in my mouth. 

Sweet Potato Fries - I don't usually fancy fries as it usually cause a sore in my throat...but this is an exception! The sweet potato fries are so sweet and addictive that I could not stop myself from refilling my plate for more!


Dessert - always ready for some sweet indulgence after a good meal.

A Big Thank You to Poteato for their warm hospitality and the wonderful spread they have prepared to fill our hungry tummies. We enjoyed the meal tremendously and look forward to be back again for more good food.


It was a fun day out exploring Singapore together with the other Singapore Parent Bloggers and Canon. Thank you Canon Singapore and Claudia once again. Hope to see you again!

Disclosure: All comments and opinions are personal and no monetary compensation was received. Canon G9X was temporary loan to me for photo-taking purposes during our day out. 

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the wall murals! Nice to see that you children are still enjoying playgrounds and helping to give the younger ones a push! And omg.. the FOOD.... *droolz*

Veron Zhen said...

Nice photos and colour resolution with this small P&S cam! I also aiming this Canon for a small easy digicam after - you may not believe it - seeing my Operating theatre using this to take photos of specimens during surgeries!
The leather finishing also make me more "gian" LOL

May said...

I would love to come for this but Ewan and Faye will not be able to survive the heat! And my husband will end up complaining if the kids start to fuss hahaha your kids are growing up too fast! Did I tell you you four look so alike? Heheh

Anonymous said...

Looks like a really fun-filled day! That medley of sweet potato fries does look addictive! :) Thanks for sharing! p.s: I think your son can do good poses; or its under the directive of Mummy and Daddy? :P

Phoebe said...

I think the group of friends playing together makes a difference. :) Oh YES!! The food is delicious!

Phoebe said...

Seriously!!!?? They using it in the Operating Theatre!! This is something new to me!
I love the leather finishing too.. looks very classy ^_^

Phoebe said...

It was really hot that day but the children (at play) didn't seem to mind the weather while I am trying to find a shade! You are not the first (and won't be the last) to mention that we all look alike :) Many told us..we should probably go for the Family Look-alike contest huh ^_^

Phoebe said...

Well, after some time, I realised he looks better posing sideways. :) Did gave him some hints but there are certain pose that he is more comfortable with. After all, he is a teenage boy . :)

Pooja Kawatra said...

It was indeed a wonderful day and kids really enjoyed. I am quite amazed to see how we all took same shot of Prawn in that cafe.

Phoebe said...

I guess great minds think alike! :D Yes, it was indeed a fun day out!!

mummybean said...

I love the murals! Have yet to find time to explore them too, alas! Looks like a fun morning!

mummybean
life is in the small things

Anonymous said...

Love the wall murals!!! So beautiful. Will go hunt for it!
Not forgetting the food... look so yummy!

Geraldine said...

I tried the G9X too during my recent family holiday, so light and compact! Love your photos with the wall murals, my boy wasn't too keen and he was sulking under the scorching hot weather !

Susan said...

Sounds like you had a fun day exploring these places. And I must take a trip to Everton and Tion Bahru to check out those wall murals.

Phoebe said...

I also want to have a chance to explore more murals... but the weather is so hot lately that I guess we have to wait :)

Phoebe said...

Yes! The murals are so pretty! I really salute Mr Yip who painted them patiently under the hot weather!

Phoebe said...

The weather is a little too challenging for your boy.. even my kids are sulking. I love the size of G9X too! very nice to carry around :)

Phoebe said...

I think you will have a great time posing! I missed out some of the murals.. hope to check them out next time!

Post a Comment