Nuffnang

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Remember Dakota Crescent - Block Party

It was an impromptu visit to Dakota Crescent on 12 April 2015 learning that there will be a block party (where everyone is invited). We thought it would be a great opportunity to bring our children to see the 7 storey flats in one of Singapore's oldest estate, and also have a feel of the community spirit decades ago.



It was pouring when we arrived but we waited and our patience paid off when the gloomy clouds finally cleared off. We headed straight to the Dove playground, an icon within the estate. A sight so familiar to us, yet it is going into memory lane soon.


Taking a stroll around the blocks, we spotted Dakota's talented "Tok Tok" man who can twirl the umbrella using a pen and imitate animal sounds beautifully. 


~ Photo exhibition ~

Many photographs were contributed by the residents and it felt like rekindling the good old times once again.

Hubby and the children helped to put the photographs up for display. :)

Have you heard of the Geylang Adventures? Unknown to many, it is a dedicated group of back-alley barbers who offer free haircuts for migrant workers on the weekend. After chatting with the young lady who did a nice trimming for Gladys, I am deeply touched and impressed with the time and effort they dedicated every Sunday morning for the migrants and the needy. Salute!


The back-alley barbers were at the Dakota's block party to give free haircut for the elderly and children. We were privileged and honoured to have the big brother and sister helping our children neaten up their hair.

Many (residents and non-residents) came to take pictures of the pioneering housing estate as it is set to be redeveloped.
Wedding couple's photo shot

Performers taking a group photo before the action begins.

Open sitting area to watch the live performance - felt like the old kampung days. 

Children & adults queuing up for free popcorn and candy floss.


Flea market and Bazaar sale 


We do not get to see block party happening in Singapore and it is amazing how everyone comes together to rekindle the community spirit and make this a memorable moment.

Even though Hubby and I are not residents of Dakota Crescent, the block party brought back many fond memories of our childhood.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a really fun event! So kampong spirit.

Mezzo & Kene said...

Thank you for sharing! I would love to bring my children to visit the old estates too!

This is an interesting block party! I have not attended any block party before too! I guess there should be more of such activities so as to promote the cohesiveness between neighbours and fellow citizens!

Claudia said...

I saw this and I missed it! This block party is so cool loh. If only those around my neighbourhood is cool like that too. ha!

Unknown said...

Woe the last time I had a block party was in uni. Back then was always Bridge and supper, supper and Bridge again. This looks happening!

Shirley @ SAys! Happy Mums

Waiwai Leung said...

I remembered that I was invited by an organisation to organise a block party. However I was too busy with work and declined, now come to think about it, I should have taken up the initiative to get to know my neighbour better.

E said...

So nostalgic! My grandma used to live in Dakota Crescent and I was afraid of the dark stairways and had nightmares of the ancient lift but now that she's moved away, I miss it badly!

May said...

Wow! Didn't know there's such thing as a Hdb party! And I really like that mobile barber that's doing so much good for the people that helped build Singapore. They are so 伟大!

Phoebe said...

Yes! We love it! Our first time experiencing such block party :)

Phoebe said...

Its sad to see the old estates being phased out.. I am hoping there will be more for building the community spirit.

Phoebe said...

Our estate actually has a long history! Just that now all surrounded by new blocks.

Phoebe said...

My uni life was boring.. didn't go for such events before. It can imagine how fun it was!!

Phoebe said...

Wow!! That sounds cool! Maybe can start with a level party to get to know your neighbours staying 1 floor above and beneath your unit.

Phoebe said...

Yes! Its quite sad to see these old blocks being phased out... sniff

Phoebe said...

They are really a dedicated lot and I am impressed with their efforts to take time off to help the community. I hope our younger generation can also have that spirit too!

Phoebe said...

They are really a dedicated lot and I am impressed with their efforts to take time off to help the community. I hope our younger generation can also have that spirit too!

Unknown said...

What a fun block party! Didn't know non-residents can also join in the fun! :D

Phoebe said...

Yes! Many non residents were there to see the old playground and experience the block party. We felt we were part of their memories too. :)

simplylambchops said...

This is very interesting! I've never attended one before! We should have more of such block parties.

Post a Comment