Nuffnang

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

~ 3D2N Johor Bahru Food Trail - Day 1 (Part 1) ~


20th June 2014 - We embarked on our first JB food trail for the year during the June holidays. Despite frequent visits across the border, each trail just get more exciting and fun. Even our kids are so accustom that they enjoy sampling the various food as we travel around.

9:30am - Taman Pelangi

Unlike our previous trails, we set off at a later time and arrived at Johor Bahru at half past 9. Since we are heading down to KSL City later, we stopped by Taman Pelangi for breakfast.

There are a lot of nice eateries at Taman Pelangi area and a great location to source for our first meal of the day.

小李粿条 - Thanks to Johorkaki's recommendation, we decided to try out the kway teow soup at this stall because of it's interesting ingredients. Checked with the stall owner and realized fresh oysters, shark fish balls, lean meat, and fish cake are some of the ingredients that goes with their kway teow.



We ordered 2 bowls (dry and soup version) to try. Both versions are yummylicious but personally I prefer the soup version because of the richer taste and fragrant of the soup broth which compliments well with the kway teow. I love the Shark fish balls which are so sweet and tender!

It comes in 3 different sizes of serving, Large (大) - RM 10, Middle (中) - RM 7, Small (小) - RM 5. It seems to me the larger the serving, the more ingredients there will be within. I'll go for the larger bowl on my next visit.


Name: 小李粿条
Address: 53, Jalan Kuning, Taman Pelangi, Johor Bahru

GPS : 1.482699, 103.775514



Within the same coffeeshop space, there is a small stall selling home-made curry puff. It's been awhile since I saw the curry puff mould. Hubby bought a couple to taste and according to him, it wasn't too bad. 


A few stalls down the road is Fat Mom Restaurant (肥妈餐厅). The shop space is bright, airy and tidy. There aren't any customers in the shop but I guess it's no harm looking through what's there to offer on the menu. 



We asked the shop assistant to give us his recommendation and he suggested Thai Laksa and Curry Dry Noodles. Knowing that I cannot take spicy food, we ordered 2 drinks to standby.

Thai Laksa - I really need to train my taste bud to take spicier food. Hubby says this dish is not really that spicy so I guess it is my problem. The gravy has a unique flavour and sour taste which wasn't that bad. I love the abundant slices of onions and cucumber to add on to the crunchiness as I slurp the noodles down. Not sure if this is how Thai Laksa should taste like but it seems like a pretty decent dish to me.


Curry Dry Noodles - We had curry noodles before but never did we savour it in a dry fashion. Hubby could not really accustom to its unique presentation and prefers the good old curry soup noodles.

I thought it was a pretty creative dish - curry chicken with noodles in soy sauce. The bit of sweetness, saltiness, and spice all within a plate.

Name: Fat Mom Restoran (肥妈)
Location: 55, Jalan Kuning, Taman Pelangi, Johor Bahru
GPS: 1.482862, 103.775423


10:45am - KSL City Mall 

Our resting station for the morning after a heavy breakfast. We brought the kids to Go N Play Playground to burn off some calories. The prices have went up slightly from our last visit. It costs RM6 for every 30 minutes of play now. No extra charges after 2 hours (i.e Maximum RM24 for whole day). 



Hubby heads off for his massaging session while I pamper myself with a pedicure session.

1:45pm - Thanks to the heavy breakfast, we did not feel hungry. Nevertheless, I cannot resist my temptations when I see Sushi. Ozumo Sushi Take-out has a couple of outlets at various shopping malls and it offers tasty sushi conveniently at affordable prices. :)



Our Sushi set take-away at RM10.90 (~SGD 4.40) 



Name : Ozumo Sushi Take-out
Location: LG, KSL City Mall, 33 Jalan Seladang, Taman Abad, Johor Bahru 80250, Malaysia

GPS: 1.485455, 103.762462


Our food trails continues....

No comments:

Post a Comment